►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our ACETATE auctions ►Our TEST PRESSING auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· KEN KESEY WITH GRATEFUL DEAD - THE ACID TEST– INSANELY RARE ORIGINAL PRIVATE PRESSINGS ON OBSCURE 'SOUND CITY' LABEL - ORIGINAL 1966 SOUND CITY MONO LP (NO NUMBER)
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL LILAC SOUND CITY LABELS WITH BLACK PRINT AND NO GRAPHICS
· VERY RARE WEST COAST PRESSING (MONARCH PRESSING PLANT, LOS ANGELES)
· IMPORTANT: THIS 12" ALBUM COMES WITH TWO RARE (OTHERWISE IDENTICAL) WHITE LABEL PROMO-ONLY RADIO PLAY 7" SINGLES WITH SIX SHORT EXCEPTS FROM THE ALBUM, RELEASED BY 'A SOUND PRODUCTION' LABEL; THE TWO SINGLES ARE SO MONUMENTALLY RARE THAT THEY ARE NOT EVEN LISTED IN ANY KEN KESEY DISCOGRAPHY; PLEASE NOTE, HOWEVER, THAT ONE OF THE SINGLES HAS A CRACK IN IT AND HAS BEEN SUPERFICIALLY "WELDED" (GLUED) FOR AESTHETIC REASONS AND WILL NOT TRACK PROPERLY; THE OTHER ONE IS IN A REAL NICE CONDITION (ABOUT VG++ WITH ONLY SMALL WRITING ON ONE SIDE AND TINY FILING CODE STICKER ON THE OTHER). OUR DETAILED GRADING (SEE BELOW) IS ONLY FOR THE 12" ALBUM .
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, GENERIC WHITE SLEEVE WITH PAPER SLICK CRUDELY PASTED TO THE FRONT PANEL
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
Ken Kesey was an American novelist, essayist, and countercultural figure. He is the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and a founding member of the Merry Pranksters, a group who was known for spreading early experiments in LSD.
Originally released in March 1966, this ultra-rare album is the work of Merry Pranksters Ken Kesey and Ken Babbs. This album is a studio recording of the Acid Test with The Grateful Dead. A documentation of the 1965-66 Bay Area Acid Test scene. Lots of amazing mind games and word play with Ken Kesey and Ken Babbs in good form, ad-libbed poetry, fractured harmonica solos, tape loops and the Grateful Dead lurking in the background.
This package includes two other Ken Kesey promotional 7”’singles (BOTH SURREALLY RARE!) and a set of 8 x 10 in. glossies depicting drug paraphernalia and Hippies. An incredible package for fans of 1960s counterculture .
A1 Ken Kesey
A2 Ken Babbs And Harmonica
A3 Take Two
A5 Peggy The Pistol
B1 One Way Ticket
B2 Bells & Fairies
B4 Trip X
B5 The End
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY PAUL COLLINS, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
· THE RECORD
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS EXCELLENT. This is one of those albums that are somewhat difficult to grade. It is somewhere between VG++ and NEAR MINT, just a notch below NEAR MINT. A few light abrasions ARE visible, but they are extremely shallow, superficial and only moderately visually distracting (nothing significant).For the most part, the vinyl looks impeccable without any MAJOR visual flaws or imperfections. Much of the original luster is intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The album comes with two original 7"white label promo-only radio play singles with short excepts from the original LP album (for their condition - described separately - please see above)
(c) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(d) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· THE COVER
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT