WE CURRENTLY HAVE NEARLY 1,000 LISTED ITEMS
►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· HANK MOBLEY with ART BLAKEY, PAUL CHAMBERS, WYNTON KELLY AND FREDDIE HUBBARD – ROLL CALL – ORIGINAL 1960 BLUE NOTE RECORDS MONO LP BLP-4058
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· ORIGINAL WHITE AND BLUE 'BLUE NOTE' LABEL WITH '63RD STREET, NEW YORK', ADDRESS ON THE LABEL
· NO DEEP GROOVE
· The record has a ►Rudy Van Gelder’s name or his initials (RVG) clearly stamped or hand-etched in the trail-off vinyl (dead wax)
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL LAMINATED COVER
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· MONO version of this album has NEVER been available on legitimate Compact Disc or in any other digital format.
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
By universal acclaim, Roll Call is one of Blue Note’s greatest and most enduring Hank Mobley sessions, which – by default – means that it is one of the top-30 greatest Jazz sessions of all time. Find out why for yourself.
From the first moment when Art Blakey comes crashing in to establish a kinetic Latin groove on the eponymous opening song, Hank Mobley's Roll Call explodes with energy. The first horn heard here is actually Freddie Hubbard's trumpet, foreshadowing the prominent role that he would have in the sound of this album. The quintet all work together flawlessly here, but Hubbard particularly shines as he plays off of Mobley's fluid riffs and carries more than a few lines himself, sounding particularly athletic and effortless on the closing track, "The Breakdown." Mobley's performance throughout the recording is stylish without being restrained, and the strength of his songwriting shines on five of the album's six songs. A warm, laid-back, sweet version of "The More I See You" is also included, with a muted Hubbard sounding very much like Miles Davis. It is a nice complement to this collection of originals, which has often been overshadowed by Mobley's other late-'50s and early-'60s work but is definitely deserving of some attention of its own.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY STACIA PROEFROCK, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
For additional historical or discography information on this album, including track listing ►hclick here
TO SEE IF WE HAVE OTHER LISTED ITEMS BY THIS GROUP OR ARTIST ► CLICK HERE
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS NEAR MINT. The original luster is very much intact, and the vinyl shines and sparkles almost like new.
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record has a ►Rudy Van Gelder name, or his initials (RVG) stamped or hand-etched in the trail-off vinyl (dead wax). On SOME Jazz labels (Blue Note, Savoy, Regent, Prestige, Impulse, Verve…) this stamp signifies highly professional masterings either done by - or personally authorized by - the legendary engineer himself.
(d) The record comes in the original stock inner sleeve.
(e) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
· COVER (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, LAMINATED, GLOSSY COVER):
COVER IS STRONG NEAR MINT
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has a minor wrinkle (bubble in paper slick) in the cardboard base on the back panel
- Cover shows JUST A HINT of yellowing on back side, apparently from aging.