WE CURRENTLY HAVE MORE THAN 1,000 LISTED ITEMS
►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· HAYMARKET SQUARE – MAGIC LANTERN – INSANELY RARE PRIVATE PRESSING ON THE SMALL 'CHAPPARAL' LABEL; - ORIGINAL 1968 CHAPPARAL MONO LP CRM-2001
· ORIGINAL U.S. PRESSING
· The music of the album was used to accompany the Baron and Bailey Light Circus at the Museum of Contemporary Art and was an integral part of the Circus's audio-visual presentation and performance; the album did not see it's first full, official commercial release for more than 40 years.
· ONLY ABOUT 100 COPIES ARE BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN MADE (AND EVEN LESS ACTUALLY HANDED OUT TO THE BARNUM & BAILEY VISITORS), OF WHICH WE CAN COMFORTABLY SAY THAT LESS THAN 50 COPIES SURVIVE; COPIES IN GOOD CONDITION ARE PRACTICALLY UNKNOWN (WE DO NOT BELIEVE A TRULY NEAR MINT COPY HAS EVER BEEN SPOTTED), AND THIS IS EASILY ONE OF THE FINEST SPECIMENS EXTANT!
· EASILY ONE OF THE TOP-20 RAREST AMERICAN RECORDS IN EXISTENCE AND ONE OF TOP-10 RAREST PSYCHEDELIC RECORDS KNOW. IN TERMS OF SHEER RARITY, THIS INCEDIBLE PIECE SCORES OFF THE CHARTS AND STRAIGHT INTO THE STRATOSPHERE.
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED - AND EXPECTED FROM A SUPREMELY WELL-DONE PSYCHEDELIC RECORDING SESSION IS HERE, AND MORE AND THEN QUITE SOME: SCREAMING, DISTORTED, FUZZY AND CRUNCHY GUITARS; MIND-TRIPPING LYRICS, WARPED TIME SIGNATURES; SNOTTY, GARAGEY AND TOTALLY HALLUCINOGENIC DELIVERY; CRUDE AND BARE-BONES PRODUCTION; SOARING, SPIRITUAL FEMALE VOCALS AND VICIOUS, BLISTERING RHYTHM SECTION; TO MAKE THINGS EVEN MORE INTRIGUING, THESE GUYS (AND A GIRL) WEREN'T EVEN FROM THE WEST COAST, ALTHOUGH 90% OF THE LISTENERS WOULD CONFUSE THEM FOR A SAN FRANCISCO BAND IN AN INSTANT; IN FACT, THE GROUP HAILED FROM CHICAGO!
· PLAIN WHITE 'CHAPPARAL' LABEL WITH BLACK PRINT AND NO GRAPHICS OR ARTWORK OF ANY KIND
· THIS IS THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE): THIS IS A CRUDELY CONSTRUCTED COVER WITH SCREAMING-PINK DAY-GLO PAPER SLICKS PASTED ONTO THE WHITE CARDBOARD; THE SCREAMIN-PINK COVER IS PARTICULARLY VISUALLY STRIKING, BOLD AND HYPNOTIC. ESSENTIALLY, YOU CAN TRIP TO IT WHILE YOU ARE LISTENING TO THE DISC.
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
· CLEAN, WEAR-FREE LABELS
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you'll get. GUARANTEED!)
This album right here is one of the rarest psychedelic rock albums ever released. If you want the original first pressing of this LP you'll need to pay few thousand dollars for it depending on the condition of the record. There were only 100 of these first pressings made so it's very easy to understand why this record is so valuable. Record collectors consider this as one of the biggest psych jewels there is.
And what about the music? The music is very classy psychedelic rock with awesome instrumental work and pretty long songs. The lead vocalist Gloria Lambert does a good work too. "Train Kept-a-Rollin'" ain't as impressive as the other five numbers but it's a quite nice version of that song too. Rest of the songs are their own material and those are all more or less perfect. Just listen to "Amapola" or "Funeral" for example and you'll understand.
That album cover is brilliant I think. It's so simple but that pink color is really magical. I like this record very much but I'm having some difficulties with my rating. I'd like to give this album five stars since this is really remarkable experience of psych rock. But on the other hand there are some parts ("Train Kept-a-Rollin'") that aren't as perfect as some others. That means this album ain't totally flawless.
It doesn't matter. I'll rate Magic Lantern with five stars. Five amazing tracks and one good cover version found in here. If you're a 60's hippie rock fan and you don't give a try to this LP that might be one of the biggest mistakes you can make. I have the 2009 Void records reissue
One of the most hugely overlooked classics of the psychedelic 60's. Haymarket Square's Magic Lantern represents some of the best obscured psychedelia you can get. Their sound is so unique offering us flaming guitarwork by Marc Swenson, stunning drumming by John Kowalski, great bass by Robert Homa and of course the beautiful lead vocals of Gloria Lambert.
Like I said, all of these songs are pretty lengthy (except "Phantasmagoria") and so much of the material here is just great jamming. That is one reason why I like this album so much. I have nothing bad to say about this record and for me, it remains as one of the best obscure albums from the 60's so I have to give full 5 stars.
Really awesome record and for every psych lover this is absolutely essential for checking out.
(EXCERPTS FROM TWO ANONYMOUS ONLINE REVIEWS)
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) WE GRADE THE VINYL AS STRONG VERY GOOD++ . CAUTION: The vinyl is NOT MINT or NEAR MINT, but is nevertheless in a very nice and clean condition. There are some surface marks and abrasions, mostly light and superficial, although some may be longer than 1.1/4 inches (1 inch = 2.5 centimeters)
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT EXCELLENT OR VERY GOOD++.
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has JUST A HINT of ring wear (nothing significant); On the scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the least, and 10 being the most severe), we assess the severity of ring wear as 2.