WE CURRENTLY HAVE MORE THAN 300 LISTED ITEMS
►Click here to see ALL our ROCK auctions ►Our PSYCH & PROGRESSIVE auctions ►Our PUNK & NEW WAVE auctions ► Our JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUE NOTE JAZZ auctions ►Our BLUES auctions ►Our CLASSICAL auctions ►Our COUNTRY auctions ►Our FUNK auctions ►Our LATIN auctions ►Our METAL auctions►Our REGGAE auctions ►Our SOUL auctions ► Our STILL SEALED ITEMS ►Our PROMO auctions ►Our ACETATE auctions ►Our TEST PRESSING auctions ►Our AUDIOPHILE auctions
· COLOSSEUM - THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE SALUTE YOU - ORIGINAL (?) 1968 DUNHILL RECORDS STEREO LP DS-50062
· ORIGINAL (?) U.S. PRESSING
*** STILL SEALED 1968 DUNHILL PRESSING, BELIEVED TO BE THE ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING (SORRY, WE ARE NOT ENTIRELY SURE) ***
· BELIEVED TO BE PRESSED ON THE ORIGINAL BLACK DUNHILL LABEL WITH THE "BOXED" LOGO ON TOP (THIS MIGHT ALSO BE THE SECOND PRESSING ON ABC'S YELLOW LABEL WITH CONCENTRIC CIRCLES, CIRCA 1971; WE ARE NOT ENTIRELY CERTAIN)
· THE THICKNESS OF THE VINYL, THE APPEARANCE AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE COVER, LABEL’S LOGO AND OTHER PERIPHERAL ELEMENTS OF THE COVER, ARE ALL PERFECTLY CONSISTENT WITH THE ORIGINAL, FIRST PRESSING OF THIS TITLE.
· TWO “BREATHE” (AIR) HOLES NOTED ON THE SHRINK WRAP
· NOTE: THIS, AMERICAN VERSION OF THIS ALBUM IS MASSIVELY DIFFERENT RELEASE FROM ITS BRITISH COUNTERPART IN BOTH FORM, CONTENT AND ARTWORK, AND IS FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ALBUM (PRACTICALLY ONLY THE TITLE IS THE SAME). NAMELY, BY THE TIME THIS - COLOSSEUM'S FIRST - ALBUM WAS RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES, THE GROUP HAD ALREADY RELEASED IT'S SECOND ALBUM (VALENTYNE SUITE) IN THE UK, SO THE AMERICAN LABEL (DUNHILL) DECIDED TO COMBINE THE BEST TRACKS FROM BOTH UK ALBUMS FOR THE GROUP'S U.S. DEBUT. THE RESULT IS A POWERFUL "HYBRID" RELEASE WHICH, IN OUR HUMBLE VIEW, IS SUPERIOR TO EITHER OF THE FIRST TWO UK RELEASES (DUNHILL DID THE SAME THING FOR THE GROUP'S SECOND ALBUM ("GRASS IS GREENER"), ALSO COMBINING THE TRACKS FROM THE FIRST TWO ALBUMS FOR THE U.S. SECOND ALBUM, BUT THIS TIME THE QUALITY OF THE REMAINING TRACKS LEFT TO BE MINED WAS DECIDEDLY LOWER.
· THIS IS (PROBABLY) THE ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, FIRST U.S. PRESSING; THIS IS NOT A REISSUE, AN IMPORT, OR A COUNTERFEIT PRESSING.
· ORIGINAL, THICK CARDBOARD COVER (AMERICAN STYLE)
· ORIGINAL UNIPAK-STYLE COVER (ONE SIDE OF THE GATEFOLD OPENS, THE OTHER ONE IS A SINGLE-PLY CARDBOARD)
· THICK, HEAVY VINYL PRESSING
(►PLEASE SEE THE IMAGE OF THE COVER, LABEL OR BOTH, SHOWN BELOW)
(Note: this is a REAL image of the ACTUAL item you are bidding on. This is NOT a "recycled" image from our previous auction. What you see is what you’ll get. GUARANTEED!)
Colosseum's debut album is a powerful one, unleashing each member's instrumental prowess at one point while consolidating each talent to form an explosive outpouring of progressive jazz/rock the next. Those Who Are About to Die Salute You is coated with the volatile saxophone playing of Dick Heckstall-Smith, the thunderous keyboard assault of Dave Greenslade, and the bewildering guitar craft of James Litherland. Together, Colosseum skitters and glides through brisk musical spectrums of freestyle ]jazz and British blues, sometimes held tightly in place by Greenslade's Hammond organ, while other times let loose by the brilliancy of the horn and string interplay. Each song sparks its own personality and its very own energy level, giving the band instant notoriety upon the album's release in 1969. Not only did Colosseum sound different from other jazz fusion bands of the era, but they could easily take the unconventional elements of their style and churn them into palatable and highly significant musical thoroughfares. Some of the more compelling tracks include "Walking in the Park," led by its powerful trumpet segments, and "Pretty Hard Luck," which embarks on a stylish blues excursion with colorful keyboard sections on the periphery. "Beware the Ides of March" borrows a page out of J.S. Bach's notebook and turns his classical poignancy inside out, while "Mandarin" and "Backwater Blues" are created with the perfect jazz and blues friendship in mind, representing Colosseum's fused sound spotlessly. Best of all, the album never strays from its intensity or its creativity, the very foundation that the band is built on. Their next album, Valentyne Suite, mirrors the same instrumental congruity as Those Who Are About to Die, and is equally entertaining.
(EXCERPT FROM AN ONLINE REVIEW BY MIKE DeGAGNE, ALL MUSIC GUIDE /ALLMUSIC.COM/)
For additional historical information on this album, including track listing ►click here
(IMPORTANT NOTE: unless otherwise noted, ALL records are graded visually, and NOT play-graded!; we grade records under the strong, diffuse room light or discrete sunlight)
(a) THE ALBUM IS STILL FACTORY SEALED AND IS BELIEVED TO BE PERFECTLY MINT. Please note: sealed items are assumed to be mint and are sold as-is, as we have no way of inspecting them. For our policy on still sealed records ►click here (PLEASE READ BEFORE PLACING A BID).
(b) The record is pressed on a beautiful, thick, inflexible vinyl, which was usually used for the first or very early pressings. Usually, the sound on such thick vinyl pressings is full-bodied, vivid, and even dramatic. Do not expect to obtain such a majestic analog sound from a digital recording!
(c) The record is believed to come in its original stock inner sleeve.
(d) Of course, this is a full-bodied ANALOG recording, and not an inferior, digital recording!!!
COVER IS NEAR MINT, STILL SEALED AND COVERED IN ITS ORIGINAL ►SHRINK WRAP
The following flaws or imperfections are noted on the cover:
- Cover has a small cutout saw-mark (an indent about 3-5 mm long ) on one of its seams.
- Cover has two corners slightly worn / dinged (nothing significant)
NO OTHER IMPERFECTIONS ON THE COVER:
- No split seams
- No ring wear
- No cut-out (drill) holes.
- No cut-out corners
- No dirt/dust rubbing stains (friction marks caused by rubbing against other covers)
- No wrinkles or creases
- No yellowing from aging
- No writing